Thursday, October 8, 2009

Initiation 1: Morning Coffee


Today, I searched (not so) far and wide for coffee. While not a difficult task in NYC -- where good beans are available almost on every corner. (Of course for those who have the right contacts-- freshly roasted beans from all over the world are just a phone call away!) But here in Tel Aviv - where coffee drinking seems to be a national past-time -- it is virtually impossible to buy beans - either ground or whole -- for home use. And when asking for this seemingly basic staple -- you are directed to INSTANT coffee!! Can you imagine that?? As you can see from the pic on the left -- I was moderately successful. I think there is a marketing opportunity... Any one interested?

6 comments:

Anne said...

One more thing -- about the butter I thought I bought yesterday -- Today I tasted it -- I really don't think it was butter!

Unknown said...

I think this is Michael's bailiwick!

Elizabeth Sayles said...

I bet its margarine, so that they can have it with meat. And the New Yorker magazine? Did that travel with you or did you find that in Tel Aviv?

Anne said...

Brought it with me -- hadn't read the issue yet -- it's a nice touch, no?

Anne said...

I finally found the butter -- I was eating something called Labane -- I had opened the wrong container... a mini initiation experience!

Elizabeth Sayles said...

Life in the field can have its pitfalls.