Saturday, December 19, 2009

A bit of Delhi Life






A few things have changed since I was here last (maybe 6 years ago?). First, as all of you who have seen Slumdog M. -- begging is something that is pretty common here... I will say, that it is SOOOO much less than when I started coming back in the late 90s.

The other huge and noticeable change has to do with cars. During my many visits, the most prominent car on the road was the rounded topped white government vehicle -- filled with people -- maybe 6 0r 7 gents (as they say here) crammed into this car. Now -- the roads are filled with cars -- individual drivers -- cars from all over -- more colors -- not just white -- and so, so many of them. The common green and yellow tuk tuk is seen, but not as many as before -- they have been replaced by regular black/green and yellow taxis. Progress I am told.

The traffic is quite intense. There aren't that many traffic lights - just signs that say "TAKE YOUR TURN". Surprising -- it works!!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Sayles said...

Great pictures. It looks nice and warm there...

Anne said...

It has been great weather -- 70-72 during the day and 50 in the evening!!

going back to Tel Aviv in a couple of hours... same weather ---

Then I will have to start to get ready for the NY cold!!!

What was I thinking???